Tame-Power: DC DC converter manufacturer for aeronautics
Power conversion solutions for low-carbon aeronautical mobility
Towards a new aeronautical mobility...
Motivated by the demand to optimize aircraft performance, reduce operating and maintenance costs, increase reliability and reduce gas emissions, the aeronautics and aerospace industry is moving towards more electric mobility solutions.
The aeronautics and aerospace mobility markets can be broken down into the following sub-markets:
- Aerospace transport solutions: passenger aircraft, business aircraft, commercial aircraft, military aircraft, airships, etc.
- New flying objects: drones, flying cabs, etc.
Two major trends are shaping the aeronautical mobility market of tomorrow:
The development of new modes of transportation and the willingness to reach a carbon-free mobility led Tame-Power to adress the electric aeronautics mobility market. Tame-Power falls within the global electrification and energy transition and brings more environmentally friendly power electronics solutions.
Tame-Power's expertise in the aeronautical market
As a specialist in power electronics and aware of the challenges of the aeronautical and space markets, Tame-Power offers:
Tame-Power range of DC DC converters is designed for all types if aircraft: drones, flying cabs, passenger aircraft, business aircraft, commercial aircraft or military aircraft and for all typesof architectures: electric, hybrid, fuel celles, turbines, etc.
High voltage DC DC converters
Tame-Power's DC DC converters allow the transfer of 1kW to several megawatts over voltage ranges from 35V to 950V input or output.
DC DC converters are able to couple different power sources in hybrid architectures integrating: fuel cells, batteries, supercaps, turbines, resistors, etc. Tame-Power products integrate all the control modes for optimal operation. Tame-Power DC converters are able to:
- Operate on 35V to 950V voltage ranges
- Generate 1kW to 120kW output power per power conversion module
- Integrate to both stationary and embedded applications
- Transfer power in both boost and buck mode (bidirectional DC to DC converters)
- Integrate several control modes in input or in output: current, voltage and power
- Integrate a specific mode to battery charge
- Combine several DC DC converters to increase the total output power
Tame-Power products are designed for stationary or embedded applications in the aerospace mobility market and are integrated into:
- On-board applications: aircraft (passenger, business, commercial or military), airships, flying cabs and common avionics loads.
- Stationary applications: charging solutions.
For specific requests, Tame-Power offers to adjust its references in order to provide you with DC-DC converters that :
- Meet your specific needs based on catalog products,
- Allow you to optimize your planning constraints at controlled costs.
Tame-Power is experienced in custom developments and has many technological bricks in power electronics (insulation, filtering, conversion, dissipation, packaging, control and monitoring ...) that can be adapted to a specific product.
Customized DC DC converters
Tame-Power supports its customers in the development of custom converters throughout the product life cycle: from the definition of the electrical architecture to the support of the product integration. Tame-Power offers to design and produce specific DC-DC converters from 1kW to several megawatts and from 35V to 950V.
DC DC converter racks
Tame-Power DCDC converters can be combined in parallel to increase the total power transferred. Thus, Tame-Power proposes to combine up to ten converter modules.
Tame-Power's certifications and accreditations on the aeronautics market
Tame-Power studies solutions that meet the needs of innovation and safety through its expertise in the design of critical aeronautical systems. Thus, Tame-Power's technologies contribute to meeting current and future regulatory requirements, including:
- DO-254 (Design Assurance Guidelines for Airborne Electronic Equipment)
- DO-178C (Regulations for software development in the aeronautical sector)
- DO-160 (Environmental Conditions and Test Procedures for Airborne Equipment)
- MIL-HDBK-217F Notice 2 and FIDES (Reliability Predictions)
EN 9100 is a European standard that integrates the principles of ISO 9001 and addresses the entire supply chain of the aerospace and defense industry. EN 9100 is the equivalent of AS9100 (America) and JISQ 9100 (Asia). It certifies the reliability and quality of TRONICO's services for the design and manufacture of embedded products.
The AQAP 2110 standard is a NATO standard that sets out the requirements for quality. It is a quality management tool that meets the requirements of ISO 9001 and the specific requirements of the "Defense" sector.
Tame Power is also able to integrate your own constraints to standards specific to your field of application:
- Operational safety EN 61508 and its derivatives: ARP 4754A, DO-178C, MIL-HDBK-217F, FIDES,
- Safety: EN60950, EN61010, EN61508 etc,
- Tests: DO-160, UL94, EN50155, STM-E-001, EN F 16-101, EN61373, EN50121, EN60068...
TRONICO is Nadcap Electronics certified. This is a certification of the manufacturing process of electronic boards, developed by the actors of the aerospace and defense market. Its objective is twofold: to improve quality and reduce costs. Both production sites (St Philbert de Bouaine in France and Tangiers in Morocco) are Nadcap certified. The Tangier site is the first Nadcap Electronics certified site on the African continent. TRONICO's customers, in all sectors, benefit from the same manufacturing processes.
The accreditation granted by COFRAC to TRONICO covers the following types of tests
- Counterfeit detection: external visual control, X-ray, electrical test, wettability, internal visual control, according to a proprietary know-how,
- Chemical opening: attack of plastic materials (coating) by chemical preparation, according to a proprietary know-how,
- Internal visual inspection: determination of internal defects of a component, according to MIL_STD-883, METHODE 2013 and proprietary know-how,
- External visual inspection: determination of the external defects of a component, according to references MIL_STD-883, METHOD 2009 and proprietary know-how,
- Bond pull-out test: Tensile testing of chip bondings, according to MIL_STD-883, METHOD 2011 and proprietary know-how,
- Chip shear test: force exerted on chips, according to MIL_STD-883, METHOD 2019 and proprietary know-how.
CIR and CII approvals
The French Ministry of Higher Education and Research has approved TRONICO as an "organization performing research and development (R&D) on behalf of companies". The CIR approval recognizes the ability of TRONICO to conduct R&D work eligible for the research tax credit (CIR). As a result, TRONICO's customers can deduct certain invoices related to R&D work in their CIR base. The CII approval recognizes TRONICO's ability to carry out work eligible for the innovation tax credit (CII).
Tame-Power use cases on the aeronautics market
DC DC converters for Stratobus
The Stratobus project is a geostationary multi-mission platform concept that can carry payloads for civil or military applications (surveillance, observation, detection, communication, etc.). Self-sufficient in energy thanks to its solar panels and its reversible fuel cell, this dirigible balloon evolving in the stratosphere, at 20 km altitude, is propelled by electrical energy. Tame-Power is a partner in the consortium to provide DCDC converters to power the balloon's power, communication and control equipment.
DC to DC converters for E-Fan X
In 2017, AIRBUS launched the E-Fan X demonstrator with the ambition to test technologies that could decarbonize the sky. In the test aircraft, one out of four engines is replaced by a 2 MW electric motor. TRONICO is participating in this ambitious project and supplying DC DC power converters.